Tillson, George - Historic Sites Board Plaque Dedication
A black and white photo of 2 women and 4 men gathered, 3 on each side, around a plaque with a title that reads "GEORGE TILLSON / 1782 - 1864". The rest of the sign can be read in the photo. The two women are wearing short sleeved dresses and hats. They are holding purses. The one on right has white gloves on. The other woman is holding the post supporting the plaque with her right hand. The men are wearing suits. The one that is 2nd from left is wearing a cleric's collar. The background consists of a large brick building (may be a church or school) on left with other people mingling on a road or parking / drive area in front of two other buildings (right). The roof of a third building on right is also visible. Handwritten on the back is "12-E-2460". Ink-stamped on the back is "Photo By: / ONTARIO DEPT> TRAVEL & PUBLICITY / PARLIAMENT BLDGS. - TORONTO, ONT. / MADE IN CANADA.".
George Tillson b. 1782 Enfield, Massachusetts, USA; d. 1864 Tillsonburg, Ontario. He came to Upper Canada in 1822 and was partners in an Iron Foundry with Hiram Capron, James and Benjamin VanNorman. Accredited founder of Tillsonburg. Typed on a slip of paper inside the file folder is the following information: "On the 8th of July, 1960, a plaque commemorating the founder of Tillsonburg, George Tillson, was unveiled in that community. This plaque is one of a series being erected throughout the province by the Department of Travel and Publicity, acting on the advice of the Archaeological and Historic Board of Ontario. Participants in the ceremony, shown left to right, were: Mr. Gordon Innes, M.P.P. (Oxford); the Rev. R.D. MacDonald; Mr. V.H. Tillson, Q.C., a great grandson of the town's founder; Mayor Bernadette Smith of Woodstock, a member of the Historic Sites Board; Miss Winnifred Williams, President of the Oxford County Historical Society; and Mayor E.S. Vance of Tillsonburg.".